Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Frequently asked questions


Diversity should be forever; it should be a normal thing” Storm Reid


Dear prospective candidates,


Due to ongoing crises in the world we are often asked if we accept applications from certain countries.


Please be assured that we welcome ALL applications from interested individuals with the required qualifications, regardless of where they come from.


Most of the questions asked can be answered by reading the below FAQs. However, if you wish to contact us, then please do so at:


For questions regarding the mandatory work placement, please refer to our
Work placement FAQS


Applying for the MA British Studies programme

How do I apply?
Take a look at our website for further details: M.A. British Studies

If you have a university degree from a German university, the application should be sent by post directly to the Centre for British Studies, Mohrenstrasse 60, 10117 Berlin.

If you have an international university degree, please apply online via uni-assist.


Am I qualified to apply?
Anyone with a very good first university degree in any subject and a very good knowledge of English (see language tests). A working knowledge of German is highly advisable.


When is the application deadline?

The application deadline is 30th April each year. The deadline is the same for all applicants. Uni-assist allows you to apply from the beginning of March to the end of April each year. Applicants with a German degree can submit their application directly to the Centre from January onwards.


Can I begin in the summer semester?


No. Application is possible only for the winter semester.


Can I submit any additional or missing documents after the application deadline?

Uni-assist does not allow uploading new documents once the deadline has passed. If important documents are missing after 30 April, your application will not be considered. Please make sure to apply well in advance to ensure that your application is complete before 30 April.


What paperwork do I have to provide to apply?


Please see the information on our admissions page and make use of the checklist that is part of the application form.


Should documentation be translated?

Yes, officially by a notary or by a state-certified translator, in English or in German. Sent translation copies or scans should include an official stamp and a signature. Documentation in English, German and French is accepted without translation.


Do I hand in originals or copies?

Do not send any original documentation. Uni-assist requires scanned originals. If you have a German undergraduate degree and are submitting your application directly to the Centre, copies will suffice.


I have applied before and been accepted but was not able to come. Do I need to apply again?

As the Centre is working with uni-assist for the first time in 2023, if you have an international degree, you need to submit all the required documents to uni-assist even if you were accepted in the previous year. If you have a German university degree, then we only need a fresh motivation letter and an updated CV from you.


Can my application be sent by email?

If you have a German undergraduate degree and are submitting your application directly to the Centre, and your application has not been received and the deadline is approaching, you can send a provisional application by email to:

A paper version should, however, be sent by post.


Where do I send my application to?

If you have an international undergraduate degree, please submit your application via uni-assist (online only).

If you have a German undergraduate degree and are submitting your application directly to the Centre, please send your application directly to

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Centre for British Studies
-M.A. British Studies application-
Mohrenstrasse 60
10117 Berlin


What steps do I take after receiving a confirmation for the M.A. British Studies?

Please refer to our Steps To Take, as of page 6 in the booklet “Some Useful Information for Living and Studying in Berlin. Based on the HU Guide for International Students”, or the official Humboldt guide sent to you with the confirmation letter. This is information which you only receive after being accepted for the programme.


I have not yet received my degree certificate from my previous university. Can I still apply?

If you are presently in your final year at university and have not yet received your degree document you can apply provided you will have completed your present course before October and fulfilled all exam requirements. An officially headed confirmation letter from your university will have to be provided, stating your current situation with a list of the subjects you have studied so far, including exam results, along with your predicted final grade and the date of graduation.


I finished school many years ago and cannot find my school-leaving certificate. What should I do?
This document is an important part of your application, so please endeavour to obtain it. You should apply to your high school for a certified copy. If they cannot provide it, then the school should state this in an official letter. The high school-leaving certificate must include a breakdown of subjects and grades – together with a certified English translation, unless the original is in English, German or French.




Do I need to prove that I can speak German?
A working knowledge is essential. All official and initial administration is dealt with in the German language. This means the foreigners office, registering with the police and matriculation. It is advisable to have at least a very basic knowledge before you arrive. Official proof is not needed.


I have a degree from a UK university / I have a degree in English Language and Literature and have worked in an English-speaking environment. Do I need a language test?
All non-native speakers of English – regardless of their qualification – are required to provide an English language test.


Which language tests does the Centre accept?
The application must contain proof of your proficiency in form of an ETS TOEFL certificate (minimum score of 600 for the paper-based test, 250 for the computer-based test, or 100 for the internet-based test), or a Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (any grade), or a Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (grade A or B), or an IELTS test (level 7.0).

Neither a degree in English language, nor English language teaching experience will be considered as adequate proof. Only native speakers are exempt from this requirement.

Lower scores than those required will substantially reduce your chances of being accepted onto the course.


Do I need to send an APS? (For Chinese, Indian, Mongolian and Vietnamese students)

APS = Akademische Prüfstelle der Bundesrepublik Deutschland bei der deutschen Botschaft in China

Students from China, Mongolia, India and Vietnam who apply for courses in Germany must provide an APS certificate. The students who are accepted for the course must have this certificate to matriculate at the Humboldt-Universität.


If I am accepted to the programme, how do I apply for a visa?

Uni-Assist: you will receive a confirmation (Bewerberbestätigung). Please use that to already make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country for the second half of July.

If you are admitted to the course, you will be able to download an admission certificate after 17 July 2023. Make the embassy appointment before this date. Do not wait until then to arrange the appointment – the visa process takes very long and you don’t want to miss the start of your study programme in the middle of October.

For applicants who apply directly to us and not to uni-assist please refer to the second paragraph above only.


For the current necessary entry requirements please ask at the German embassy in your home country. If a visa is required, start the application process as early as possible as it may take quite a lot of time. You need a visa for studying in Germany – a tourist visa is not acceptable in this case. One of the main prerequisites for obtaining such a visa is the certificate of admission which we sent you and a financial proof of roughly 11,208 Euro (For most updated information on blocked account for visa application, please check the website of German Federal Foreign Office This can be done by

  1.   a bank statement of a German bank showing that you have the amount of money needed; or
  2.   a so-called Verpflichtungserklärung (declaration of suretyship) by a person living in Germany;or
  3.   a Verpflichtungserklärung by a member of your family in your home country (ask at the embassy for the form) proving that they have got the money to support you.

From our experience we can tell you that the whole procedure may be quite tedious and that it often lasts longer than expected. So please apply for your visa without any delay!

If any problems with the embassy arise please tell us so immediately. If you give us a direct contact email/number of the person responsible, we can try and talk to them directly about your case.


I have not yet received my confirmation (Zulassungsbescheid) for the MA British Studies. What do I do?

Please inform us if you do not receive it. An exact and current postal address is essential. However, the scan for the embassy visa application usually suffices.




What does the programme cost? Is there a tuition fee?

The actual programme is free and there are no tuition fees. However, if accepted you are responsible for your own cost of living and the matriculation fees at the Humboldt University each semester. These amount to ca. 320 Euros each semester and we have four semesters in all.


How much money do I need to live in Berlin?
Berlin is still much cheaper than other German cities. On average students need c. 1,000-1,200 Euros monthly. This includes accommodation rent, matriculation costs (c. 360 Euros per semester), food and insurances. There are no tuition fees for the M.A. British Studies programme.


How do I finance myself in Berlin and during the work placement in the UK (or in the Republic of Ireland)?
Applicants requiring financial support are strongly recommended to apply for a grant or scholarship well in advance. The deadlines for scholarship applications may be as early as in October, the year before you plan to take up your studies at the Centre for British Studies!

The course is full-time. We strongly advise you to take this into consideration if you are thinking of working part-time.


How do I finance myself during the programme?
Please look at the information here for grants. Most students need to work part-time to finance themselves. There are opportunities at the Humboldt-Universität on the many notice boards, and we are often sent information. You should, however, keep in mind that the course is full-time.


Are grants available?

Unfortunately, the Centre has no grants. However, several programmes (e.g. Deutschlandstipendium, DAAD, political foundations) provide scholarships for graduate students.

More information is available here ( You can also book a social counselling session at StudierendenWerk (

Additionally, the StudierendenWerk offers counselling services that focus on other issues like finances (including emergency funding as well as start and completion grants), housing, and dealing with the authorities. There is also a counselling service for barrier-free studies.


Is student accommodation available, and how much does it cost?
Please take a look at our Information Guide Steps To Take or the Information Guide for International Students.


What does the timetable look like?
The timetable changes frequently to fit in with the tutors’ and the course-requirements. Each week is different, according to other schedules and extracurricular activities. However, we endeavour to keep the schedule from Monday to Thursday, 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. Fridays and weekends are usually kept free for research, project work or exams. You will find that you will be expected to do a great deal of reading and other academic work in your own time.


Is there a part-time option for the programme?
No. The programme is full time and intense, so a part-time option during this time is not recommended.

For further information please see our study regulations.


Can I do the programme as a distance learning course?

No. The programme takes place on site in Berlin with tutors from the Centre, the Humboldt-Universität, and from the UK. It involves teamwork with the rest of the group and hands-on project work.


Student mobility scheme (placement)

Do I have to look for a placement or does the Centre provide one?
Not necessarily. We have a variety of placements all over the UK and the Republic of Ireland in various fields. If you have a particular interest and preference which we cannot help you with, you can look for a place yourself.


Is the student mobility scheme (placement) paid?

Not necessarily. We have a variety of student mobility schemes (placements) all over the UK and the Republic of Ireland in various fields. If you have a particular interest and preference which we cannot help you with, you can look for a place yourself.


Do I have to do the work student mobility scheme (placement)?

Yes. This is an obligatory part of the course and counts as part of the exam. The work student mobility scheme (placement) has to take place in the UK (or in Ireland). Students are required to write an internship report.


How do I find out about a visa for the UK/Ireland for the student mobility scheme (placement )?

The UK and Ireland typically require visas to enter the country for work purposes, with some exceptions. This category includes paid and unpaid internships. The type of visa required, its conditions, and its costs depend on your specific nationality and personal situation. Find out what you need to do from the relevant British ( or Irish ( authorities.


Make sure to apply correctly and well in advance of the start of your student mobility scheme (placement), as the process can sometimes last as long as 3 months. We will not be able to advise you on matters pertaining to your visa application.


Do I have to do a work student mobility scheme (placement) in Britain, or could I do a student mobility scheme (placement) in another country?

A work student mobility scheme (placement) in Britain (or in the Republic of Ireland) is a mandatory and essential part of the degree programme. Only in very exceptional circumstances can the internship take place elsewhere.


What are potential student mobility scheme (placement) providers?

You can find lists of past and potential student mobility scheme (placement ) here: Work Placements


What are job prospects like after completing the programme?

The majority of our students have found qualified permanent work – this varies from working in the free market, the public sector and academia. A number of our students go on to do PhDs. This does, of course, depend on what your plans are, where you live, your own efforts and initiatives.

Many of our students stay in touch with us and with each other, and the Centre occasionally organises reunions for alumni.


Disability/chronic illness - how do I find advice after getting a place on the programme?

We have an Equal Opportunities Representative and Women’s Representative here at the Centre, and, you can always speak to members of staff.


There is also a Disability Advisory Service in the Humboldt’s main building.


Here is the link in English:




Back to top